Tofu nuggets ( vegan chicken nuggets)
There is almost no one who won’t love nuggets, I wanted to make a healthy version of a nugget for my meat free Mondays which even vegetarians can enjoy.
I learnt this recipe from popular vegan bloggers. They used a freeze technique to get the meaty texture from tofu. But my question was , can you really make tofu taste like chicken ? the answer is no !!! but I can tell it satisfies the meat free nugget cravings !
When I tried the recipe, trust me it looked just like tender chicken breasts.
Check this interesting Tofu nugget recipe ( vegan chicken nuggets), I bet its fun and also delicious.
- 400 gms tofu (medium firm tofu)
- salt (to taste)
- Italian seasoning (or any seasoning of your choice)
- oil (a drizzle)
- 1 tbsp flour
- bread crumbs
- open a pack of medium firm tofu and drain the water from the container. place it on a chopping board and pat it dry with a kitchen cloth. Next cut it into bite size pieces
- transfer the tofu pieces into a container and freeze it
- once its frozen, remove it and thaw it in the refrigerator. Once its thaw, quickly drain the liquid thats collected in the bottom of the container (if you leave it for too long, the tofu will re-absorb all the liquid once again and this whole step will be a waste). pat it dry with kitchen cloth. gently squeeze the tofu pieces with the fingers to get a chickeny texture and look.
- carefully transfer the tofu pieces to a bowl or a plate and coat it slightly with oil, salt and your favorite herbs, I used a of Italian seasoning here.
- Dust the tofu pieces with flour and then with bread crumbs. transfer to a baking tray with parchment paper.
- bake in the oven for 20-30 min, at 180 deg C. (flip the tofu pieces midway)
- thats it !!! your easy tofu nuggets / mock chicken nuggets are ready. enjoy with your favorite dip.