Thai Green Curry
Thai Green Curry ( With Shrimps) is a coconut milk based curry originated from Thailand. It is a spicy and savoury curry pairs well with Jasmine Rice.
Check out easy method to cook Thai Jasmine Rice here.
This Curry is usually made with chicken, but I am using shrimps in this recipe, it is exactly the same recipe if you want to use chicken, replace shrimp with chicken.
For vegetarians, you can skip all of the meat and enjoy this curry just plain vegan or vegetarian green curry paste.
Let me share a picture of what I use, I bought it on amazon and it works great for me.
here is the link to find it in amazon https://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Green-Curry-Paste/dp/B00XIJB8HO
Some tips for you, to follow or not follow is up to you but here is what I learnt,
- You can use fresh coconut milk as well instead of a tinned one.
- My personal favourite brand is this for making Thai green curry ( insert picture) , you may choose any brand that’s available to you and follow the package instructions.
- I have used all dry ingredients for kaffir like leaves and lemon grass. If you have fresh ones they may be stronger so always add little and then add more. (Insert pictures of lime leaves and lemon grass)
- When you are using the dry kaffir lime leaves some are more potent and some are less so adjust to bring the flavour to a slightly lemony fresh, mildly fishy and little sweet with a hit of heat from the green chillies.
Thai green curry
- 1 can of coconut milk 400 ml
- 2-3 tbsp of fish sauce
- Thai green curry paste 1 pack
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 2-3 Shitake mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 Egg plant medium sized ones
- 200 GMs Shrimps
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar adjust to liking
- 1 cup Vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup Water
- 3-4 Lemon grass dry
- 3-4 leaves Kaffir lime leaves dry
- 2-3 fresh red chillies
- Start by heating a oil in a pan and add 50 ml of coconut milk into it.
- Keep a medium flame and let the coconut milk start to simmer and you see it has thickened, add in the green curry paste.
- Start mixing it into the coconut milk and once you see the coconut milk is well combined with the green curry paste, add in the cubes egg plant or brinjals, sliced mushrooms, lemon grass and half of lime leaves and cook them with a lid on until they are done.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add in the vegetable stock. And simmer for a few mins.
- Next add in the coconut milk and adjust water to your liking. It is usually a little runny in consistency.
- Bring the curry to a simmering boil and add in the cleaned and deveined shrimps into it.
- Add in fish sauce, remaining kaffir leaves, red chillies and brown sugar.
- Simmer until the shrimps are done and is curled and opaque.
- Turn off the flame and serve it hot with Thai rice.