Tandoori Chicken is a punjabi style baked/grilled chicken recipe marinated in special tandoori masala.
Tandoori chicken is a juicy and succulent baked chicken recipe which will serve just as it as an appetizer or in a salad or in a wrap.
If you have heard of chicken tikka this is a almost the same recipe except for the meat used in tandoori chicken is with bones and usually a whole chicken.
In chicken tikka boneless chicken pieces are used.
Tandoori Chicken is from Punjab region in india and is said to date back to 3000 BC.
‘Tandoor’ means oven and the chicken pieces are marinated in tandoori spices cooked traditionally in clay oven infusing a signature char and smoky flavor to the chicken pieces.
How to eat
I serve it usually for dinners to make a tandoori chicken wrap.
Serves as an excellent topping for salads.
- Chicken Legs
- Tandoori Mix
- Garam Masala
- Red chilli powder
- Chat masala
- Lime Juice
- Ginger Garlic Paste
Prep work before you begin
Skin the chicken pieces and score the flesh with a knife to allow the pieces absorb the marinade
Prepare Ginger Garlic paste if not using store bought one.
Prepare Hung Yoghurt. Details in the recipe.
Marination time is important. The chicken gets tender and juicer and more flavorful as it marinates. This is not a recipe to prepare in a jiffy, recommend marinating for at least 2 hours. Sometimes over night marination works wonders.
Baking time varies from oven to oven. In my case I used 200 Deg C and baked it for 50 minutes. This is a rough estimate you can do longer or lesser depending on your oven.
Smoky flavour can be infused by placing a live charcoal piece and sealing the marinated chicken using a cling wrap for 10 minutes.
Food coloring is optional, but since we are so used to associating tandoori chicken with the bright orange color , I add it to my recipe to make it feel complete.
Why use Hung Yoghurt or curd ? When yoghurt is used as it is it has more water content in it the marinade becomes loose and doesn’t stick to the chicken pieces well.
hence, hung yoghurt is used the marinade becomes thick and coats well.
You can replace hung Yoghurt with un sweetened greek yoghurt if you find it.
Chaat masala is a very important ingredient in this recipe. It adds the sourness which is very unique to tandoori chicken flavor.
If you have tried a recipe a home and felt something was missing it is chaat masala.
If you don’t find chaat masala you can use pani poori masala in its place.
I like to add oil to the chicken after the marination is complete. That way the oil will not block the marinade from seep into the chicken pieces.
Add food color just before baking. It is only to add the color. This is optional.
You can try the same with sliced cauliflower to make tandoori Gobi.
Tandoori Chicken pieces stores well in the refrigerator for uptown 3-4 days.
Video recipe of Tandoori Chicken
- 2 Large Chicken Legs
- 4 tbsp Yoghurt
- 2 tsp kashmiri Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Tandoori Chicken Masala
- 1 tbsp Orange Food Color
- 1/2 a Lime Juice
- First let’s prepare the hung curd/yoghurt, take a bowl and add a strainer and line it with muslin cloth or a mesh strainer.
- Add yoghurt to it and let it sit for an hour for the whey to drain completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken pieces. Remove the skin from the chicken thighs and score it with a knife to allow the marinade to coat well.
- Once the hung curd is ready, add it to a bowl, add Kashmiri Red chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, chaat masala, ginger garlic paste, lime juice and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and massage well.
- Cover with a cling film and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- After 2-3 hours, pre-heat the oven to 200 Deg C for 10 minutes and prepare the baking tray with an aluminum foil rub some oil on the surface of the foil.
- To the marinated chicken, add oil and food coloring and rub it on the surface.
- Transfer the tandoori chicken to the baking tray, cover the exposed bones with an aluminum foil
- Bake in the oven top rack for about 50 minutes on 200 Deg C.
- Serve it with green chutney, pickled onions and a lemon wedge.
Also check out other similar recipes