Tuna Fish Cutlets ( meen cutlets )
- 3 canned tuna
- 5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 long green chilli
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp Bread crumbs
- 1 cup Bread crumbs (or as required to coat)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp crushed black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Oil to deep fry
- Start the recipe by adding a bit of oil on a pan and heat to medium flame.
- Add in 3/4 of the finely chopped onions into it and green chillies, sauté them until softened, next add the drained canned tuna and break it down if there are any large chunks of tuna it.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté it into the Tuna for a few seconds, until the raw smell of the ginger and garlic is gone.
- Then, add the seasonings, add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, Garam Masala and cook them of nicely until well incorporated in to the tuna and onion mixture.
- Next it is time to add the potatoes, roughly crumble the boiled and peeled potatoes and mix it into the tuna mixture.
- Use a potato masher or if you don’t have one, use the back of your spatula to mash the potatoes into the tuna mixture until all are combined together. Check for any seasoning you would like more like salt or spice and adjust to taste.
- Turn off the flame and remove from the heat and keep it aside, add in 2 tbsp of bread crumbs mentioned in the ingredients along with freshly chopped coriander and the remaining 1/4 finely chopped onions and mix it in nicely. Our Tuna cutlet mix is ready to use. Allow the cutlet mix to cool completely before use.
Preparing the cutlet mix :
- Alternatively you can cover the cutlets and leave it in the refrigerator for 30 mins before making them.
To make the cutlets :
- In a wide bowl, beat 2 whole eggs season with salt and pepper and beat them nicely.
- In a plate keep add the bread crumbs to one side of the plate.
- Take the cooled tuna cutlet mixture prepared, take a ball of it and hold it tightly and shape it into desired shape
- Dip the cutlets in to the egg mixture first and then coat it with bread crumbs and keep them aside. (Read Notes)
- You can cover the cutlets with a cling wrap and cool them in the refrigerator until use or you can freeze them for later at this stage.
Frying the Tuna Cutlets
- Take a deep and wide pan and add sufficient oil to deep fry the cutlets, Heat the oil to medium flame.
- Once hot add 3-4 tuna cutlets prepared at a time. Remember not to over crowd it. Fry it on both sides until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve it Hot with your favorite Dip.
- Check out my home made peri peri mayo sauce recipe here
Notes : (I like using one hand of eggs and one hand for the bread crumbs to avoid wetting all the bread crumbs with egg, also place it separately and not on top of the bread crumbs and sprinkle the cutlets first with the crumbs and then flip it over)