Tofu and mushroom gyozas
- Frying pan and bowl
- 1.5 cups Button Mushrooms (finely diced)
- 1 cup Finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup Finely diced Onion
- 1/2 cup Spring onions
- 2 cups Napa cabbage
- 200 gms Firm tofu
- 2 large cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 tsp Light Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Oil
- 15 Gyoza wrappers ( or more if needed)
- Water (to seal)
To cook Gyozas
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- Take a bowl, add chopped mushrooms, carrots, onions, spring onions, Napa cabbage, crumbled tofu, Garlic.
- Add the seasonings next, that is salt, black pepper, sesame oil, light soya sauce.
- Mix it well it your hand.
- Heat a pan to medium flame, add little oil and add the prepared mixture to it. Sautee for about 5-10 minutes to cook the mushrooms and reduce the moisture in the mixture.
- Allow the mix to cool down completely.
- Take a Gyoza wrapper, add a teaspoon of prepared filling in the middle.
- Wet the edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the wrapper in half and pinch in the middle.
- Then pinch the two edges and make a fold as shown in the video.
- Repeat the process and fill all gyoza wrappers.
- Once ready, heat a pan to medium heat, brush some oil to it.
- Add the filled gyozas to it, let it cook until the gyoza get a little crispy in the bottom.
- Do not move them around. After about 1-2 minutes, check if there is a lovely red sear on the gyozas.
- Add water to the pan, bring it to a simmer and cover and steam until all the water is absorbed.
- Remove gyoza from the pan and serve it hot with Japanese ponzu sauce.
Prepwork : This recipe needs some fine chopping to be done. Finely chop all ingredients - Mushrooms, Carrots, onions, spring onions, cabbage, garlic pods Drain the tofu, wrap it in kitchen cloth and place a heavy pot of water on top of it to squeeze out any excess water from it. Prepare Gyoza wrappers and keep ready. Note : Remember soggy mixture is a no no. It is important to cook it off in the stove top a little to remove the moisture from it. If you still find it soggy, add a table spoon of corn starch to the mixture and then continue recipe.