Stuffed Brinjal Fry (Gutti Vankaya Fry)
- 6-8 no.s no.s Small sized brinjals
- 10 tbsp Oil to fry
- 3 tsp Channa dal
- 2 tsp White sesame seeds
- 3 tsp Urad dal
- 3 tbsp Peanuts
- 2-3 Garlic pods (large)
- 3 tsp Grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Corriander Seeds
- 7 Dry red chillies
- 3 tbsp Tamarind Water (Thin)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt (To taste)
To prepare Masala Stuffing
- Heat a wide pan, add 1-2 tbsp oil to it and add channa dal, urad dal, peanuts, coriander seeds, garlic pods, dry red chillies and saute in medium heat until its nicely toasted.
- Next add the grated coconut and the sesame seeds and saute until its slightly roasted too.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a blender allow it to cool and then add salt as required, turmeric powder and tamarind water and blend it to a semi coarse powder.
Prepare Brinjal & Stuffing
- Meanwhile, Slit the brinjal as shown in the picture making a flower like opening. Leaving the stem in.
- Add the slit brinjal in salted water until use, to prevent it from turning brown.
- Take a spoon full of ground masala and stuff it in the brinjal slits generously. If spoon is difficult use your fingers.
- Repeat the process until all the brinjals are stuffed. There may be some extra masala keep it for later.
Fry the brinjals
- Heat a wide pan with a lid, add the remaining of the oil. Once hot, add the stuffed brinjals one after the other. Cover it with a lid and cook it in medium flame for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes gently move the brinjals over to cook it evenly on all side.
- You’ll notice that the brinjals will start changed colour and also soften.
- Once it is soft enough, it will be time to add the remaining masala on top, cover and cook for some more time until the brinjals are cooked tender and masalas are nice and aromatic and toasty.
- Serve it hot with dal rice, sambar sadham, rasam rice or curd rice.