Raw Onion Chutney
- Fine blender
- Pearl onions - peeled 1 cup
- Garlic - 1 large pod 3-4 small ones
- Salt to taste 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli- 10-12 no.s
- Tamarind - 1 small berry size
- Water - 2 tbsp or more
- Jaggery - 1 small piece
To temper :
- Sesame oil or gingerly oil - 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Blend all ingredients under (to grind) to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan to medium heat, add sesame oil, mustard seeds and allow it to sputter fully.
- Next add fennel seeds, curry leaves and let the flavours infuse for a few seconds.
- Add the ground onion red chilli mixture.
- Cook for 10 mins until the chutney thickens and darkens and turns glossy.
- Serve with dosa/ idli