Prawn Thokku / Eral thokku
Quick Prawn thokku or Eral thokku under 30 minutes.
- Pan with a lid
- chopping Board, knives, bowls
- 1 medium onion finely chopped,
- 2 small tomatoes finely chopped,
- 3 tbsp oil
- 250 gms prawns
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- salt (to taste)
To marinate prawns before frying- red chilli powder, salt, turmeric - 1 tsp each
- First wash and devein the prawns or shrimps and marinate with the ingredients mentioned in to marinate in the ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Mean while chop the onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves . Grate the ginger garlic paste and keep them ready.
- In a pan add oil and gently add the marinated prawns to it and allow it to cook until its almost done. It shouldn’t be over cooked. Just when it has curled and turned opaque is a good time to remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, Add fennel seeds, add chopped onions, and some salt, cook until the onions are soft and is reduced slightly. Next add the tomatoes, and cook until they are soft. You can cover with a lid for the pan and cook this step.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a few minutes until the raw flavors are gone. And the whole tomato, onion, ginger garlic forms a saucy base.
- Next add the red chilli powder and cook for few more minutes, until the sharp spice of the red chilli powder is gone.
- Next add the fried prawns and add it to the prepared tomato and onion base and mix it will. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until you see oil separating from the sides.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with Rice or Roti.
Using fresh prawns makes it more tasty.