Pepper Chicken is a spicy indian style chicken stirfry made using freshly ground spices.
- 450 gms Chicken
- 1-2 tbsp Yoghurt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1-2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 large Onion
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Water
- A few Curry leaves
- A few Coriander leaves for garnish
- To Grind
- 3/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 3-4 no.s Dry Red chillies
- Take a fine blender and Add onions, green chillies to it and blend it and keep it aside.
- Next, dry roast the ingredients mentioned under to roast on low to medium flame in the order red chillies, cinnamon stick, black pepper corns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds.
- Cool the pan roasted ingredients and grind it to a fine powder.
- Take a wide pan, add oil and once hot, add the onion and the green chilli mixture and cook it well until the onions slightly changes color.
- Next add in the freshly ground pepper chicken masala powder, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and cook it for a few minutes on medium flame.
- Next add in the chicken pieces, salt for the chicken, turmeric powder and mix it into the onion and masala paste until the masala is coated well on the chicken pieces.
- Next add yoghurt and mix it well and then add a little bit of water and cover and cook until the chicken pieces are cooked. ( Note that the chicken pieces tend to leave some water as it cooks so don’t add more water than specified )
- Cook on medium flame for about 20-25 minutes. Flip it twice or thrice in between to ensure the pieces get cooked evenly.
- When you open the lid, check if the pieces are cooked by using a fork and pricking through it. Add in the coriander powder, fresh ground black pepper powder. And mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium flame or until all the liquid on the pan is dried up ad the chicken is cooked to tender.
- You’ll notice that the chicken may need some bit of moving around as the liquid dries up thus increasing the chances of it sticking to the pan.
- Check for final seasonings, salt, spices. If you prefer more spice you can add more fresh black pepper at this stage.
- Once done , remove from heat, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot.