One bowl Whole Wheat Thin Crust Pizza
- 1 large bowl, pizza pan, Oven, spatula
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup + 4 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Olive oil (for brushing)
- Plain flour (for dusting)
- 1.5 cups Pizza sauce (3/4 cup per pizza)
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp Dry Oregano
- 1.5 cups Button Mushrooms
- 1 medium Onions (sliced length wise)
- 3-4 no.s Baby corn
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- salt (To taste)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
To Make balsamic caramelized onions topping
- Take a Pan, heat it on medium flame, once hot add in the sliced onions, salt, sugar and saute for a a few minutes until the onions are tender
- Next add in the Chopped mushrooms and baby corn and cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and tender to touch.
- Finally glaze with balsamic vinegar and toss it in the pan cook until the toppings get slighyly thicker and glossy. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
To Make Pizza Base
- Take a wide mixing bowl, add in whole wheat flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt and olive oil and mix it in.
- Next, add in the warm water, 1 cup first and then gradually add 4 tbsps of water or little more and gently mix it in.
- After the ingredients are roughly mixed in. Use your hands and gently knead the dough in to a smooth ball.
- Knead for about 10 minutes approximately. If the dough is sticky dust it with little flour and continue Or if it is too hard add a tbsp of water and knead to a ball shape.
- Now, take another clean bowl and rub some olive oil on the inside and place the prepared pizza dough in it.
- Brush or rub some olive oil on top of the dough too and cover it with a cloth and allow it to raise for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, you’ll notice that the dough has rises and doubled in size.
- Next step is kneading and before you start the kneading process, preheat the oven to at 210 Deg C for 10 minutes.
- Take the dough out and knead it once again and cut in into two halves. One dough ball for each pizza.
- Now dust the clean cooking surface with plain flour and place the pizza dough on the surface. Generously dust the pizza dough with flour too to prevent it from sticking
- Gently roll the dough to a thin pizza base. Ensure it is evenly rolled and is about 3 mm thick.
- Now dust the pizza pan with some flour and carefully transfer the rolled pizza base on to the prepared pizza pan.
- Make holes with a fork on the pizza base, spread about 3/4 cup of home made pizza sauce, add the prepared caramelized onion toppings , add the shredded cheese and oregano.
- Bake the pizza in the top rack for about 15 minutes until pizza is golden and bubbly.
The water required in the recipe is an approximation. It can vary from the type and brand of flour used. You can add fresh mozzerella cheese and basil to make make it plain Margarita pizza Since whole wheat is a bit denser in texture, I suggest to not try to make the crust thicker than what is mentioned in the recipe as it leads to chewy and under cooked and soggy pizzas sometimes. You can use the middle rack on the oven too for baking, if you choose to do so, do increase the baking duration to about 25 minutes.