Kollu Rasam / Horse Gram Rasam
- Pressure cooker
To pressure cook :
- 3/4 cup Horsegram / Kollu
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 2 cups Water
To Make Rasam :
- 1 tsp Oil
- 3/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 no. Garlic pods Roughly pounded
- A few Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt To taste
- 1 tbsp Rasam Powder
- 1 small piece Jaggery
- Corriander leaves For garnish
To Make Rasam Powder:
- Dry roast - 1 Tsp black pepper, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp toor daal, 1 tsp corriander seeds and 2 dry red chillies, cool and blend to a coarse powder.
To Cook Horsegram / Kollu
- Wash and soak the horse gram or kollu for 2 hours and pressure cook with tomatoes and water. (Slit the tomato as shown in the picture below)
- Once the pressure is released, Drain the water as we will need it for our rasam. Keep the cooked horse gram separately.
- Add a ladle full of horse gram into a blender, along with the cooked tomatoes. Wait for it to cool down and blend It to a smooth paste.
To Make Rasam
- Heat a kadai, add oil. Once ht add mustard seeds, allow it to sputter fully.
- Next add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, roughly pounded garlic pods, curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the pressure cooked water to the kadai, add tamarind paste, salt and turmeric to it.
- Mix the rasam mix and bring it to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the ground horse gram and tomato puree and bring it to a boil.
- Add the rasam powder, jaggery, coriander leaves and bring it to a boil.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot.