Chicken Gravy for chapathi and rice
- pressure cooker or a pot, chopping boards, knives, spatula
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 500 gms Chicken
- 1 large Tomato roughly chopped
- 1 medium size Onion finely chopped
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 no.s Cloves
- 1 no. Star anise
- 2-3 pods Cardamom
- 1/2 Bay leaf
- 1 + 1/2 cup Water
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Corriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 no.s Green chillies
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- First wash and chicken and cut them into medium sized pieces
- In a pressure pan, heat some oil, and add the whole spices )bay leaf, cloves, star anise, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and curry leaves. Sauté for a few mins in hot oil.
- Next add in the chopped onions and salt and cook until the onions are nicely browned.
- Next add in ginger garlic paste and sauté until the raw flavors are gone.
- Next add in the masala powders, corriander,red chilli and turmeric and sauté til the masalas are cooked and the mixture looks dry.
- Next add in the chicken pieces, and salt required for the chicken and toss it well so the masalas coats all the chicken pieces.
- Next add in the roughly chopped tomatoes and cover and cook in medium flame until the tomatoes are softened. Once softened, mash it with your spatula and mix it in.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 5-10 minutes for the chicken to release its juices and blend with the masalas.
- Once the chicken pieces has lost all its pink, and looks cooked half way, Add water. You can adjust the consistency of the water as required. Roughly we want all the chicken pieces to be almost covered.
- Bring the curry to a gentle simmer and cover and cook until all the chicken pieces are cooked and is soft and tender. Alternatively you can pressure cook it for about 4-5 whistles.
- Check with a fork if all the chicken pieces are cooked through.
- Open the lid and sprinkle some garam masala and let it cook on medium flame for the curry to thicken a bit.
- Check for salt and adjust if you need more.
- Garnish with some fresh curry leaves and serve it hot with dosa or chapati or rice.
If you want to thicken gravy, you can simmer the curry for 10 minutes on medium flame without a lid.