Chicken curry without coconut
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil/or any regular cooking oil -
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste - 1 table spoon
- 4-5 leaves Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves optional
- 1 no. Bay leaf
- 1 no. Star anise
- 1 no. Cardamon pod - 1
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon stick - 1 inch piece
- 1 no. Onions (big sized - finely chopped)
- 3 tsp Chilli powder reduce the spice to your preference
- 4 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Salt approx or to taste
- 1.5 cups Water - 1.5 cup
- 1 tsp Fresh pepper powder optional
- 400 gms Chicken cut into medium sized pieces
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Step 1 : In a big bowl mix marinate the washed chicken pieces in turmeric, and yoghurt and keep aside for 30 mins
- Step 2 : heat a medium sized pressure cooker or a pot, add oil, the whole spices (bay leaf, star anise, cardamon pod, cinnamon stick, cloves),
- Step 3 : once the spices get infused in the oil, add in ginger garlic paste sauté well (ensure not to burn it)
- Step 4 : next add in the chopped onions, add a little salt and cook till the onions go nice and soft. It will take some time so be patient and this is an important step to bring the right smooth gravy.
- Step 5 : Next add in the marinated chicken pieces, curry leaves,
- Step 6 : next add the spice powders ( chilli powder, coriander and salt), and cover and simmer in medium flame for 5 mins. Stir in occasionally to avoid burning.
- Step 7 : Now add in the water. The measurement I have given here is for a liquid gravy if you wish to make it semi gravy, please reduce the water enough to cover the chicken pieces.
- Step 8 : Cover the pressure cooker and cook in medium flame for about 3 whistles. If you are cooking in a pan, cook covered in medium flame for about 25-30 mins.
- Step 9 : once the pressure is released, open it and add some fresh pepper powder, transfer to a bowl, garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Thats it your delicious Indian chicken curry ready.
This is a spicy curry and goes well with roti, phulkas, poori, idli and dosa. If you wish to make it less spicy reduce the quantity of chilli powder or skip the pepper powder.