Mathi Meen Varuval
- cast iron skillet
- 5-6 Medium sized Sardine Fish
- 1.5 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp Water
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut oil
- 5-6 no.s Curry leaves
To Marinate the fish
- Take a wide plate, add in the spice powders mentioned in ‘to marinate’ and mx it with little water at a time and make into a thick paste not too runny not too thick. It should be soft enough to be able to spread on the fish.
- Next, apply the prepared fish masala on the outside of the fish and let it be fully covered, add some masala on the inside as well.
- Let it sit in the fridge and marinate for at least 10-15 minutes. Longer the better flavour.
To Fry the Fish
- Heat a cast iron pan or a non stick pan, add coconut oil and allow it to become hot, add the curry leaves to infuse some flavour into the oil. ( be careful the curry leaves will sputter when added to hot oil.
- Add the marinated fish one by one and let it cook on medium flame for about 5-7 mins on one side.
- Then gently flip it over to the other side and let to cook for another 5-7 minutes on medium flame.
- When the fish is done, the masala would have roasted well.
- Remove the fish on to a plate and serve with rice.