Ragi Semiya Upma Recipe
I was so happy I had stock of a pack of Ragi vermicelli or semiya in my pantry this morning. I could quickly Make the ever so easy upma with it. For those who don’t know about this wonder grain Ragi, Ragi is a millet which sadly is a little forgetten even in India.
Sharing some facts and benefits of Ragi below,
- Ragi is actually a grain that is consumed in southern part of India and is Gluten free !
- It is rich in fibre and also is usually nutritionists in India suggest to eat it to control diabetes and also for those who want to shed some weight note this point.
- Ragi is one of the best sources of dairy free calcium so if you are looking for a vegan alternative this is your thing !
- Ragi is rich in Iron and hence keeps anemia away.
- Not to forget it is one of the first foods of babies in India as it is a power house of many other micro nutrients as well. And there is many more benefits of having Ragi in our meals, P.S I am not a nutritionist and all these information is available on the internet and so I have heard from my parents and relatives through their wisdom. happy to share little I have heard of !!
Now lets see how to make this simple and quick Ragi Semiya recipe.
- Pan with a lid, Pot to boil the water, chopping board, knives and a slotted spoon
- 180 gm Ragi Semiya
- 2 liters Water (to boil)
- 1 medium sized Onions
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt (as required)
- 1 long Green chilli
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Broken urad dal
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- a few Curry leaves (optional)
- Corriander leaves (for garnish)
- Bring a big pot of water to boil and once it boils add a pack of ragi semiya and add it to the boiling water and turn off the heat. Let it stay in the hot water for 3 mins, Move it around with a spatula to ensure all the semiya absorbs the water.
- After 3 minutes, quickly remove the ragi semiya with a slotted spoon draining all the water and keep it aside.
- Now heat a pan and add oil to it. Once Hot, add mustard seeds, allow it to crackle and once it crackles, add cumin and urad dal.
- Next add finely chopped onions, curry leaves,add green chilli and sauté them well. Add salt and sauté until onions turn soft and translucent.
- Next add in the Ragi semiya that we re hydrated in hot water.
- Toss it well to mix the ragi semiya well int the onions and other ingredients on the pan, add salt for the ragi semiya and mix it well.
- Cover with lid and let it steam for 5 minutes. Stir it once in between and when the ragi semiya is no more wet at the same time is soft and fluffy. It is ready.
- Serve it hot with pickle and youghurt for break fast.
Check out my other recent recipes here ,