Lahore chicken curry is inspired by popular chicken recipe from Lahore, Pakistan. This creamy chicken gravy is prepared in onion, tomato and yoghurt gravy cooked until the chicken is soft and tender.
This Lahore chicken recipe is probably easier than most other recipes I have tried. Used basic kitchen spices and gets done in 45 minutes.
You can serve this Chicken Lahori curry with Ghee Rice or Garlic Naan. Check out how to make easy Garlic Naan at home.
If you tried this recipe do share and tag me on Instagram also follow for daily meal inspirations.
Happy eating !
Check out other popular chicken recipes on the blog
Lahore chicken curry Ingredients:
1. Chicken – 1/2 kg
2. Curd – 200gms
3. Onion – 2 small
4. Whole jeera
5. Oil – 100 ml
6. Ginger chopped – 4 small pieces
7. Garlic – 6 pods
8. Tomato purée – canned or make fresh (to make fresh boil 3 tomatoes, peel the skin and purée it to use)
9. Coriander powder – 1 table spoon
10. Red chilli powder (Kashmiri) – 1 tablespoon (depends on the spice level of the powder)
11. Jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
12. Coriander chopped for garnish
Method to make Lahore Chicken curry:
1. Marinate chicken pieces in curd, salt and turmeric powder.
2. In a pan add oil, whole jeera, Long thinly sliced onions, chopped ginger and garlic.
3. Fry it until it is browned a bit.
4. Switch off heat, cool it and grind it finely (add water to grind if needed)
5. Heat oil in pan, add the ground onion paste
6. Fry until it turns brown nicely
7. Add tomato purée and sauté for 5 mins
8. Add chilli powder, coriander powder and jeera powder, Sauté well for 5 to 10 mins till the oil separates.
10. Add marinated chicken curd mixture.
11. Sauté for 5 minutes and mix chicken well with the mixture into the gravy.
12. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
13. Add water (about 200 ml) and mix well. Check and add salt if needed.
14. Keep it closed and cook for 15 to 20 mins till chicken is well cooked.
15. Keep the flame higher and stop cooking once the gravy consistency is reached as desired (slightly watery is good too. Or you can dry up a bit more to make it more like gravy has coated the chicken)W
16. When the oil separates it means the gravy is cooked through.
17. Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with naan or rice.