Javvarisi Upma / Sabudhana kichidi
How to make viral special, javvarisi upma or sabudhana kichidi
Javvarisi Upma / Sabudhana kitchidi
Javvarisi Upma or sabudhana kichdi is a popular breakfast dish in India. It is often served as a super food on the fasting days. Javvarisi is nothing but tapioca starch balls and hence is dense in carbohydrates. It is also a very popular first foods for children in India. There are many ways to cook Javvarisi, like we make payasam or vada out of it. In this recipe we will see how to make a simple but tricky javvarisi upma. Many people avoid making upma with javvarisi because they end up getting a mushy upma in the end . Thats why I wanted o blog this recipe with the important tips to get perfectly cooked and separate pearls of javvarisi upma. Please read the essential tip in the end of the recipe to get the right consistency.
- 1.5 cup javvarisi (washed and soaked for 5 hours)
- 1/4 cup peanuts (skinned)
- 4-6 leaves Curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger (Finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Green chillies (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Small Onions (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Small Potato
- 1 Lemon Wedge (Small)
- 1-2 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp Ghee/Oil
- Coriander Leaves (to garnish)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Wash the javvarisi several times by gently massaging the pearls with your fingers. All the starch on the surface of the javvarisi/ Tapioca pearls will have to be removed. Once the water runs clear. Soak the javvarisi/tapioca/Sabudhana pearls in 1:1 ratio for 5 hours. after 5 hours all the water will be absorbed by the pearls. strain out any remaining water and dry it in a plate until use.
- In a pan, add ghee or oil and add the skinned peanuts to it. Slightly roast the peanuts and remove them from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add cumin, chopped ginger & green chillies and sauté it for few seconds.
- Add in the onions, curry leaves and little salt and cook the onions until soft.
- Add in the potatoes, add about 2 tbsp on water to the pan and cover and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Now add the washed and soaked javvarisi/sabudhana/tapioca pearls and keep the flame in medium heat and mix it in well.
- In about few minutes after adding the javvarisi/ sabudhana/ tapioca pearls, you will notice that they start turning transparent and glassy.
- at this stage add salt to taste cover and cook in low flame for 2 mins
- open the lid and stir in the upma well to ensure all the pearls are well cooked, toss it around gently. Add roasted peanuts.
- Squeeze in a small lemon wedge
- Garnish with coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- Your javvarisi upma / sabudhana kichdi is ready to be served. Enjoy this delicious preparation as a breakfast anyway 🙂
important tip : Don't skip the soaking and washing tip mentioned in the recipe. It is very important to get perfect pearly javvarisi upma.