Indo Chinese Schezwan fried rice is a spicy fried rice loaded with a mix of vegetables, spiced up with schezwan chutney and Indo Chinese condiments.
This simple delicious Indo Chinese style Schezwan fried rice recipe is one of my favourite fridge clean up meal.
It is so easy to put together and makes a delicious meal for two.
Indo Chinese is comfort food for many who grew up in india. Sometimes it means a happy Friday night meal too ! (Relatable anyone ?)
Well, this Indo Chinese style Schezwan fried rice is sort of like a healthy party on a pan, because it is loaded with veggies I have made a short video of making this Indo schezwan fried rice recipe- go check it out here on my Instagram page
Tips to make Indo Chinese style schezwan fried rice
Some tips I wish to leave for perfect results every time,
- Use a day old cooked basmati rice, I prefer to cook mine the day before or prep it on a free day and leave it in the fridge (cooked basmati rice stays well for about 3-4 days), freshly made basmati rice can make the fried rice mushy and may not get the perfect grainy texture.
- For the Sauces, keep it simple – I stick to shezwan sauce/ chutney , dark soy sauce and ketchup. I always have a stash of shezwan sauce for making a quick schezwan cheese toast or use it in a dip.
- Third – use a drizzle of sesame oil (asian one) at the end. If you do not have use a tbsp of butter. For a nice glossy and soft texture.
- Just a personal observation, like biriyani, it does taste better as it sits and soaks in the flavours but I recommend eating it hot as soon as its made. Try the recipe if you haven’t tried this before. Leave a comment ! Recipe deets below,
Ingredients required to make Indo Chinese style Schezwan fried rice
1.5 cups Raw basmati rice – cook previous night
2 – 4 tsp Cooking oil
5-6 green beans
1 large Garlic (minced)
1/2 large Green capsicum or 2 asian capsicum
1 Large Red Capsicum
5-6 Portobello Mushrooms
3 tbsp Spring onions
3 tbsp Green onions (For Garnish)
2 tbsp Asian Sesame oil or butter
1 tsp White pepper powder
Salt – to taste
1 pack Schezwan Chilli sauce
Dark Soy sauce (chings brand) – 1 tsp
2 tsp Ketchup
Finely dice all the vegetables and cook the basmati rice al Dente ( preferably a few hours before making or the previous night)
How to make
- Heat a wide pan, add oil, crack in the eggs and scramble it with little salt and move it to one side of the pan, O the other side add a little more oil and add finely minced garlic, spring onions and give it a quick sizzle.
- Add in the chopped veggies, white pepper powder, salt for the veggies and cook on medium to high heat for 5 minutes until the vegetables look a little brighter and mushrooms begin to shrink. Slowly mix in the eggs and the veggies into each other.
- Add in the sauces – Schezwan chilli sauce, ketchup, Dark Soy sauce and mix well,
- add in the cooked, cooled basmati rice (if using day old basmati microwave before adding to break down easily).
- Gently mix the rice into the prepared fried rice base and once all white rice is coated in the sauces, check for salt adjust if required. Drizzle some asian sesame oil or butter and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh Green onions and serve hot.
Check out other Indo-Chinese inspired recipes on the blog.