Idli Podi is a spicy and flavorful roasted lentil and red chilli powder, often served as an accompaniment to Idli, Dosa, oothapam in South India.
It is often called by different names such as gun powder or idli milagai podi or kara podi.
‘Podi’ in in South India means powder, and podi in any indian recipe means spice powder. it is a blend of roasted lentils and red chillies until aromatic, cooled and powdered and stored in an Air tight Jar. It is commonly called idly podi because it is commonly mixed with sesame oil and served with idli a steamed rice cake from South India.
This is a simple breakfast condiment of south India and is popularly eaten with dosa or idli.
- It can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for about 2 month.
- Roast the ingredients well one after the other and cool it and then grind it for better shelf life.
- adding Kashmiri Red chillies will add a nice red color to the idli podi without adding much heat.
- serve it with sesame oil or ghee as done traditionally for best taste.
- Adding a bit of jaggery elevates the dish. I learnt this tip from my friend Varsha (Thank you for sharing your family wisdom :))
How to eat Idli podi
Serve it with Idli, Dosai or oothapam.
Check other popular vegetarian recipes below
Idli Milagai Podi
- 1/4 cup Black urad dal (Or replace with white urad dal)
- 1/4 cup white urad dal
- 1/4 cup channa dal
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (white)
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves (dry in microwave for 1 min)
- 2 tbsp Garlic (chopped)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil (coconut oil or any cooking oil)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 7 no.s Dry red chillies
- 1 small piece Jaggary
- In a heavy pan, roast all the ingredients except salt and jaggary with little oil until nicely golden and toasted and aromatic
- Cool all the roasted items in the previous step, add salt and jaggary and keepit ready
- transfer to a clean and dry mixie jar/ fine blender, add salt and grind it to a fine powder. (you can grind to a coarse texture if you prefer so)
- Now your idli milagai podi is ready to use. Serve it with a generous drizzle of sesame oil or melted ghee and enjoy with hot idlies and dosas
Vegetarian Thai Green Curry is a coconut milk based spicy curry made from scratch using bright and fragrant ingredients such as lime leaves, coriander and a hit of spice from chillies.
Curry Leaf Egg Masala Fry is a simple boiled egg fry using curry leaf and spices, served as a side dish for rice or Roti.
Shahi Paneer Gravy, is a nawabs style cottage cheese curry, which is mild and delicately flavored with spices in a creamy gravy.