We love eating pancakes on lazy weekends. And my son sometimes wants them in his lunch box! So I keep experimenting with different flavors to make it more nutritious and healthy for him to eat. I have tried many pancakes with vegetables sneaked in such as pumpkin and beets just like those this was totally Random try too and we loved it.
So since we eat mostly plant based through the week and indulge in meat over the weekends or when ever we feel like our body needs it. I keep trying different choices of plant proteins to be included in our foods. So I stumbled upon Hemp and its not random because I was truly amazed when I tasted hemp based food in one of the popular restaurants in Tokyo called the hemp cafe. Do check it out if you are in Tokyo and is looking for all vegan place. It blew my mind. In terms of how many choices we could make by choosing an alternative. So also I felt very light and happy after my meal. Wanted to give it a try and so I ordered a small pack of hemp protein powder to be added to my smoothies. So I one day wanted to try it in pancakes and added it to the pancake batter. I would say It was two birds in one shot for me, I saw my son had polished the plate (Thanks to the maple syrup which hid a bit of the earthy flavour of the hemp protein powder that I added). Never the less it was a win win day !!
When ever I share something about hemp protein, the first question they ask me is about the flavour. Yes, it could be a bit strong for first time so don’t go over board right away. start with smaller quantities and see if you like the taste. And gradually increase as you get accustomed to the taste.
It is mild and earthy. the nutritional facts is interesting when I read about it. According to Healthline it is one plant protein that has all the essential amino acids that our body needs and about 1/4 cup ( roughly 30 gm ) contains 120 calories and 15 gms of protein. The advantage is it is less refined compared to other plant protein powders available in the market. Now let’s jump to the recipe and see how to make these delicious hemp protein pancakes.
- pan, bowl, whisk and measuring spoons
- 1 cup flour
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice adjust to requirement
- A dash of vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp hemp seeds powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- vegan Butter to make the pancakes
- Maple syrup to serve
- Take a wide bowl and add flour all the dry ingredients and mix them together.
- Next warm the milk slightly and add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Whisk the milk in the hemp and flour mixture prepared slowly until you get a pancake batter consistency. The batter should neither be too thick to pour nor be too runny.
- Check the taste of the batter to check if the salt, sugar is balanced. Slightly sweeter and a hint of vanilla flavour is perfect !! Let it reast for 10 minutes before starting to make the pan cakes
- Get a non stick pan on medium heat and when it is ready brush some butter on it
- Pour a ladle of the prepared pancake mix and wait for small bubbles to appear on top. Once you see bubbles all around, flip the pan cake over to cook the otherside. This may take about 40 seconds on each side. Keep the flame on medium flame. Timing can be adjusted to ensure the middle of the pancake is cooked and there is no raw batter.
- Repeat for the rest of the pancake batter mix and serve these delicious and healthy hemp pancakes with honey or maple syrup for breakfast or brunch.