Tuna Fish Cutlets ( Meen Cutlet)
Tuna Fish Cutlet is a fun way of eating fish for adults and kids. In this recipe I have used canned tuna I had stocked up during Cover lock down announcements in Japan and I was glad I used them because they were yummy, how ever it can be replaced with any boneless boiled fish of your choice, read the Tips I have lefts below. I love how this recipe is freezable and can be used for busy days packed for lunch box and but I assure you its so delicious that you may not have left overs.
Some Prep work before you begin :
- Boil the potatoes with little salt and turmeric until soft. Peel them and keep it aside.
- Finely chop the onions and green chillies. Make ginger Garlic paste.
- If you are not using store bought bread crumbs, prepare bread crumbs by toasting a few in pan and blending them to a fine powder.
- Drain the cans of tuna into a bowl and keep them ready.
Some Tips :
If you don’t want use eggs to coat and fry alternatively you can make a thick batter out of plain white flour or maida and water and use it to coat the cutlets before coating with bread crumbs.
If you don’t have canned Tuna, you can use any boneless fish in the place. You just need to boil them with salt and little turmeric and use them in the place of tuna.
If you want to make it vegetarian, you can skip tuna and add cooked drained lentils such as white beans or rajma and make the same recipe. Check out my Galouti Kebabs Recipe here.
Cooling the cutlets down before frying them is important to get firm fish cutlets if not they will be soggy inside.
Some Step By step Pictorial to make Tuna Fish Cutlets
Tuna Fish Cutlets ( meen cutlets )
- 3 canned tuna
- 5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 long green chilli
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp Bread crumbs
- 1 cup Bread crumbs (or as required to coat)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp crushed black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Oil to deep fry
- Start the recipe by adding a bit of oil on a pan and heat to medium flame.
- Add in 3/4 of the finely chopped onions into it and green chillies, sauté them until softened, next add the drained canned tuna and break it down if there are any large chunks of tuna it.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté it into the Tuna for a few seconds, until the raw smell of the ginger and garlic is gone.
- Then, add the seasonings, add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, Garam Masala and cook them of nicely until well incorporated in to the tuna and onion mixture.
- Next it is time to add the potatoes, roughly crumble the boiled and peeled potatoes and mix it into the tuna mixture.
- Use a potato masher or if you don’t have one, use the back of your spatula to mash the potatoes into the tuna mixture until all are combined together. Check for any seasoning you would like more like salt or spice and adjust to taste.
- Turn off the flame and remove from the heat and keep it aside, add in 2 tbsp of bread crumbs mentioned in the ingredients along with freshly chopped coriander and the remaining 1/4 finely chopped onions and mix it in nicely. Our Tuna cutlet mix is ready to use. Allow the cutlet mix to cool completely before use.
Preparing the cutlet mix :
- Alternatively you can cover the cutlets and leave it in the refrigerator for 30 mins before making them.
To make the cutlets :
- In a wide bowl, beat 2 whole eggs season with salt and pepper and beat them nicely.
- In a plate keep add the bread crumbs to one side of the plate.
- Take the cooled tuna cutlet mixture prepared, take a ball of it and hold it tightly and shape it into desired shape
- Dip the cutlets in to the egg mixture first and then coat it with bread crumbs and keep them aside. (Read Notes)
- You can cover the cutlets with a cling wrap and cool them in the refrigerator until use or you can freeze them for later at this stage.
Frying the Tuna Cutlets
- Take a deep and wide pan and add sufficient oil to deep fry the cutlets, Heat the oil to medium flame.
- Once hot add 3-4 tuna cutlets prepared at a time. Remember not to over crowd it. Fry it on both sides until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve it Hot with your favorite Dip.
- Check out my home made peri peri mayo sauce recipe here
Check My Salmon Fish Curry Recipe Here —-> EASY SALMON FISH CURRY
- Easy Healthy Coleslaw
- Broccoli and Cashew cream Casserole
- Tofu Gapao Rice
- Minty avacado dip
- Egg Malai Curry
Andhra recipes biriyani breakfast chicken Chicken Dry Roast chicken recipes chutney dinner Egg recipes Eggs Fish recipes Gluten Free green curry Healthy Recipes indian breakfast indian sweets Keerai Kerala Recipes kid friendly low carb meal prep ideas mutton recipes non veg north indian North Indian recipes one pot recipes Palak recipes Paneer Recipes party recipes plant based potato recipes pressure cooker biriyani ramadan sandwiches Seafood side dish snacks South Indian spinach recipes sweets Thai Recipes tofu vegan vegetarian Weighloss