Eggless Chocolate Pudding
Eggless chocolate pudding – is a smooth and silky chocolate pudding made with just 5 ingredients namely chocolate, milk, corn starch, sugar and vanilla essence.
Desserts were not my jam until I turned 30, even now I can eat it happily in small decent quantity everyday. This chocolate pudding is perfect for this quick cravings.
perfect autumn / winter treat
This is a perfect recipe for those days, when you don’t feel like moving your finger but want to enjoy chocolatey goodness.
I love to make this chocolate pudding for colder weather and love it more because it uses fewer ingredients than most dessert recipes.
Pudding is a texture that is creamy and is firm at the same time, but is gliding smooth to eat. Usually, the silkiness is achieved by using egg yolks.
So how is Pudding different from custard ???? – This same recipe can be made using custard powder, we use to make fruit custard in India ( a common Indian dessert) but personally I prefer to keep the pudding flavors different from a custard so corn starch works best for me.
But in this recipe, we will be using corn starch as the thickening agent. You may know that corn starch is this amazing pantry item which is often used in indian kitchens to make my favorite Indo chinese recipes such as chilli paneer.
Stove top method and hence no baking involved in this recipe – So mess free and less utensils to clean up
This is such an easy recipe that once you make it the next time you can make it with your eyes closed.
How to eat
I love to serve this delicious chocolate pudding cold. You can make it ahead of time and cover it in a cling wrap and leave it in the refrigerator until use.
I like to add a bit of chocolate shavings and garnish with fresh mint before I serve. This is a Perfect dessert for Christmas, parties or any occasion and is a great make ahead recipe.
What do you need ?
- Corn Starch
- Milk – Full fat milk (4 % and above) means richer pudding
- Rich Dark chocolate (70 % cocoa preferably) – Like Lindt
Tips before you try the recipe
Although this is a very simple recipe, there are some pointers that I would like to leave for those who try it. Corn starch has a property to thicken quickly and hence needs to be given only just enough time on heat to thicken and pour it out at the right time.
- Mix the cocoa and corn starch well in the milk before putting it on the heat – This prevents in forming lumps in the pudding.
- Stay close and keep gently stirring : That means you have to watch out as the pudding thickens, remember to stay close and keep gently stirring to prevent it from thickening too fast and so any clumps are avoided and you are left with a smooth pudding
- Pour it in when it is still hot : Pour out the pudding when you see its glossy and thick. Keep your ramekins or serving cups near by and pour it in when it is still hot so it sets in the cup and not in your pot.
- Use full cream milk and rich cocoa : Since this is an eggless recipe, all its richness comes from thick milk. I have used full cream milk of 4.4 % fat content. Incase you are using low fat milk, add 2 tbsp of fresh cream to the milk to add some richness.
Vegan / Vegetarian Versions
This recipe can be used to make vegan alternatives using almond milk instead of dairy to make vegan chocolate pudding.
This recipe is so versatile and works as a great party dessert, you can vary it by adding a splash of rum instead of vanilla extract for a fun home parties or a bit of chilli flakes to give it a Mexicano twist.
Or even make it a mocha pudding by adding a teaspoon of instant coffee granules to it. The options are endless. Just feel free to explore.
Storage and shelf life
This recipe and its ingredients lasts quiet a while in the refrigerator. It lasts me for unto a week and hence it is your best party food prep recipe.
I assure you this comes together in under 20 minutes and you are all set for a party.
One thing I noticed is that it needs to be covered with a cling wrap or any sort of ecological wrapping material in order to prevent the top layer from drying out.
Also check out other POPULAR recipes
Recipe (step by step)
- Take a cooking Pot, add the corn flour, choco powder, sugar and mix well.
2. Add milk, vanilla essence to it and mix well.
3. Keep the pot on the stove top and heat it on medium flame and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
4. Keep Stirring intermittently to prevent it from burning in the bottom.
5. Reduce the flame to a low and add in dark chocolate cubes. Allow it to melt.
6. Once the mixture is thickened yet still in pouring consistency, switch off the flame
7. Pour it into the serving bowls .
8. Add some chocolate shavings as garnish and decorate with mint leaves or fresh berries.
Check out this fun video on how to make this chocolate pudding I made for my instagram page
9. Leave the pudding in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and serve chilled.
Eggless Chocolate Pudding
- Cooking Pot, Whisk, ramekins or serving bowls.
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 2 tbsp Choco powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla essense
- 50 gms Dark chocolate
- 2 cups Milk (Full Fat milk)
- 1 tsp Butter (optional)
- Chocolate Shavings (For Garnish)
- Mint leaves (For Garnish)
- Take a Pot, add the corn flour, choco powder, sugar and mix well.
- Add milk, vanilla essence to it and mix well.
- Keep the pot on the stove top and heat it on medium flame and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Keep Stirring intermittently to prevent it from burning in the bottom.
- You’ll see that the mixture begins to thicken and begins to bubble gently,
- Reduce the flame to a low and add in dark chocolate cubes. Allow it to melt.
- Once the mixture is thickened yet still in pouring consistency, switch off the flame and pour it into the serving bowls .
- Add some chocolate shavings as garnish and decorate with mint leaves or fresh berries.
- Leave the pudding in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and serve chilled.