Egg Malai Curry is a creamy gravy made from a silky onion base gravy and cooked off in milk, cream and butter topped with hard boiled eggs. Is a great side dish for rice and Indian flatbreads.
This Egg malai curry is a white egg curry recipe which , spicy rich and creamy at the same time. This recipe pairs well with rice or Roti.
This egg malai curry recipe can be prepared in 30 minutes an it has very few ingredients simple steps.
Check out other egg recipes,
Check out other side dish recipes,
- Shahi Paneer Gravy
- Dhaba style paneer masala
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Rajma Recipe | How to make Rajma Masala
Ingredients to make Egg Malai Curry
- Hard boiled Eggs – 5 No.s (cut in half)
- Onions – 2 medium sized (Roughly chopped)
- Green chillies – 3-4 no.s ( Adjust to spice level)
- Ginger (1 cm pieces) – 4 no.s
- Garlic – 2 Large pods ( chopped roughly)
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp (as required)
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Warm Milk – 200 ml
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp ( roughly chopped)
- Fresh cream – 2 – 3 tbsp
- Boil the eggs and keep them ready,
- Roughly chop the onions, green chillies
- Peel ginger and ginger chop them and keep it ready.
- Warm the milk
- Finely chop the coriander leaves
How to make Egg Malai Curry
- To a blender, add onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic and blend it to a smooth paste.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with a lid, add oil and butter and heat it on medium flame.
- Once the pan is hot, add in the blended onion and green chilli paste, salt and cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Cook until the onions turn darker shade and is cooked off and has started to thicken.
- Occasionally, scrape the onion from sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Measure and add the hot/warmed milk to the onion mixture and mix well until the gravy consistency is reached.
- Add the spice powders – turmeric, cumin, black pepper, Garam Masala powder and mix it in.
- Cover and cook for another 10 minutes on low to medium flame, until the gravy is cooked and glossy.
- After 10 mins add Fresh cream, coriander leaves and mix it well, cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the eggs ( cut in half) one by one into the gravy and cook for 5 more minutes, flip it half way if needed.
- Once the desired consistency is reached, remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl, add a dollop of butter and garnish with fresh corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or Roti
To make it less spicy, half the green chillies and continue the recipe. For dairy free option, you can substitute fresh cream with cashew cream and dairy with almond milk.
Please note that almond milk may curdle when heated, you can add at the end and simmer it until gravy consistency is reached.
To make the egg malai curry silky, it is important to make cook the onion paste well until it comes off rolling of the pan and has turned darker in shade.
Also using fresh cream and full fat milk will elevate the taste.