Pressure cooker mutton biriyani
how to make mutton biriyani in pressure cooker
Easy pressure cooker mutton biriyani. Fast simple and delicious !!
- 6-7 tbsp Oil or to cover the bottom of the pan
- 1 no. big cinnamon stick
- 1 no. bay leaf (big)
- 5-6 no.s cloves
- 4-5 no.s Cardamom
- 4 no.s Onion - 4 (large cut length wise)
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 750 gms Mutton
- 3 and half cup Basmati Rice
- 5 and half cup Water + Mutton stock
- 7-8 no.s Green chillies (adjust to spice level)
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup Coriander leaves
- 1 cup Mint leaves
- 4 tsp Biriyani masala
- 4 tsp Garam masala
- 4 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder (adjust to spice level)
- 2-3 tsp Salt (add to taste)
- 1 cup Yoghurt (beaten)
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- Wash and soak the basmati Rice for about 15 minutes and then drain and keep it aside
- In a smaller pressure cooker, add the mutton pieces, salt to cook mutton, turmeric powder, Ginger garlic paste and water and pressure cook up to 5-6 whistle (or until the meat is cooked and tender). Once cooked remove the mutton and keep aside, store the the mutton stock from the pressure cooker for later use.
- Add oil in a big pressure cooker, once the oil is hot add in the whole garam masala which is bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves. Allow the flavors to infuse in the oil.
- Next add in the chopped onions, green chillies, salt and cook the onions in the oil and whole spices until the onion turns soft and slightly browned.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste and cook well.
- Add in Coriander and mint leaves and sauté well.
- Next add in the tomatoes and cook covered until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Next add in the Red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Biriyani Masala, Garam masala
- Cook till the masalas come together nicely and forms a nice base.
- Next add in the beaten yoghurt and mix it in quickly. Continue to cook in medium to low flame until oil starts appearing on the sides.
- Now add the pressure cooked mutton pieces
- Measure the cooked mutton stock and add it instead of water. If the stock is short water to get the quantity mentioned in the ingredients. Bring the pot to a boil
- Squeeze a half a lemon, add in the washed, soaked and drained basmati rice.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle on medium to high flame. And switch off the flame. Allow it to rest for 15 - 20 mins before opening the cooker.
- After the resting time open the lid and slightly fluff it with fork or a long spatula without crushing the rice too much from bottom to top . This allows the rice from the bottom to come out and release more flavor and mix well. Now cover it and leave it un disturbed for about 10-15 mins. This is second resting.
- Thats it your hot and spicy mutton biriyani is ready to be served. Enjoy with onion raita or brinjal chutney !!!
- You can add half part oil to ghee if you think its too much oil.
- Cooking the biriyani base masala in medium to low flame is the key to tasty biriyani its time taking but its worth it.
- The same can be cooked with chicken. Check my post on chicken biryani.
- Some times I skip tomatoes in the biriyani and has a closer to restaurant taste. Thats why I mentioned tomatoes as optional.
- The second resting is optional but it ensures the flavors are sealed well and has the dum effect.