Chicken Tawa Fry
Chicken Tawa Fry is a simple pan roasted chicken recipe.
In this recipe, Chicken is marinated in freshly roast and ground spices and cooked on pan or a Tawa.
Big thanks to my cousin sister, Shanthi Akka for sharing this recipe with me. Although, there are many recipes of chicken Tawa fry out there, the ingredients that go into this recipe makes it unique.
This makes a great appetizer or even easy pack off for week day lunch boxes.
Some tips before you begin the recipe,
- I have tried both non stick pan and a cast iron pan and I realised that using a cast Iron Pan to roast the chicken definitely makes a huge difference to the taste.
- Be generous with oil, don’t be skimpy on it.
- If you read the recipe you’ll notice that I have roasted the whole spices before grinding, its optional. But if don’t it brings out the flavour even more.
Serving suggestions :
I would serve it as a side dish to any rice dish. I liked it best with tomato Rasam or a ghee rice or even pulao.
Check out Tomato Paneer Pulao recipe you see in this picture below.
Chicken Tawa Fry video recipe
Thava chicken / Kodi Vepudu
- Cast Iron Pan
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 3 no.s Red chilli
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 4 no.s Garlic (large pods)
- a few Curry leaves
- a few Corriander leaves a few
- a few Mint leaves
- 1/2 Onion ( medium sized )
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Yoghurt
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 500 gms Chicken Breast fillet
- Prepare the chicken by cutting them into bite sized pieces.
- Slighly Roast, cuin, fennel, black pepper and red chillies and grind them with other ingredients mentioned under (to grind) without anywater to make a thick masala paste. You can skip the toasting part if you are pressed for time.
- Once ground masala is ready, add it to the chicken pieces along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt , lemon juice, yoghurt.
- Next rub the masalas into the chicken pieces so it evenly coats all the fillets.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for marination for atleast 30 to 60 min.
- Take a Tawa or a flat cast iron pan and heat it to medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot add oil & place the marinated chicken & cook in a medium flame.
- U can cover the pan with a lid & cook it for a few minutes so that the flavor seals in the chicken pieces & it also prevents sputtering.
- Keep moving the chicken pieces so it roasts evenly on all sides also prevents burning.
- It may take about 10-15 minutes. Check with a fork if the chicken pieces are cooked through. Once done, switch off the flame.
- Serve it Hot with rasam Rice.
- Kashmiri Dum AlooKashmiri…
- Poondu pulikuzhambuPoondu…
- Tomato Paneer PulaoI…
- Easy dosa recipeDosa…
- Chana masala (Chickpea curry)Chana…
- South Indian Sambar RecipeThere…
- Vella Poosanikai Kootu / white pumpkin kootuKootu…
- Garlic Naan (without yeast)Garlic…