I usually make a tomato paneer Pulao slightly different from the usual recipes. It brings a biriyani feel but not biriyani at all. This recipe uses coconut milk to bring a rich taste and with very simple recipe but is something that will make you want to eat more.
I keep this for emergency guest visits or weekends when i need a one pot dish to finish the work and be out to be with people. Best part is it uses minimal ingredients to make this.
Some tips that I want to give before you begin making this delicious tomato paneer pulao,
- If you are a reader from outside indian subcontinent, this may be a spicy tomato paneer pulao, if you wish to make it less spicy reduce the number of green chillies by half.
- You can also add a variety of vegetables to it. I sometimes like to add sweet corn or capsicum or green peas to it. If you do add it along with paneer and continue the recipe. Makes it even more delicious to eat.
- I sometimes like to use thick coconut milk as you see below in my picture it can be your personal choice. In case you are using canned coconut milk, add 1/2 cup extra water to adjust as it may be way to thick than fresh coconut milk.
Lets go to the recipe now.
Tomato paneer Pulao
- 5-7 tbsp Oil (use any neutral flavored oil)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 no.s green cardamom pods
- 3-4 Green chillies finely chopped (spicy vareity)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 medium sized Onions (Finely Chopped)
- 2-3 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 cup tomato pulp or puree (you can use pureed fresh tomatos as well)
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder (add less if you prefer less spicy)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 200 gms Paneer cubed
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 cups diluted coconut milk
- Wash basmati rice in water gently a few times or until the water is clear and soak it for 15 minutes, drain and keep it aside.
- In a Pressure pan, add oil, once heated, add in bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods,cloves. Once the spices turn aromatic, add in the chopped green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Sauté for few minutes.
- Next, add in the chopped onions,Add a little salt to cook the onions faster.
- Add pureed tomatoes ,Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the tomatoes turn mushy and is soft and well combined with the onions and other masala
- Add Red chilli powder
- Add paneer cubes,
- Mix in well cover and cook for 5 minutes till all the flavors infuse into paneer pieces
- Check salt and add more if needed
- cook the paneer in the tomato gravy in medium flame covered for 5 mins, until you see oil appears on top
- Add in the washed, soaked, drained basmati Rice
- Add the diluted coconut milk
- Mix it the coconut milk into the rice mixture
- Sprinkle 1 spoon of garam masala
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 1 whistle in medium- high heat and keep in low flame and cook for 5 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Once the pressure is released, allow the pulao to rest for 10 - 15 mins in the cooker.
- After resting time, use a fork to gently fluff the pulao so it is mixed well
- There your yummy tomato paneer pulao in coconut milk is ready to be served. Serve it hot eat it with onion, tomato cucumber raita.