Ragi Banana Cake
If you are looking for gluten free cake recipes, then you have landed on the right page. Ragi is also known as finger millet which is a gluten free grain of India.
It is often considered as poor mans food although it is a rich source of calcium and in minerals.
Ragi is truly a wonder grain and as I keep reading again and again about it I understand why it was such a widely consumed grain in India in the olden times and no wonder our forefathers were healthier and had stronger immunity and lived longer. Am sure there is a lot information on the internet on Benefits of Ragi, do look into it. I am going to share a simple way to include Ragi in our diet and also to consume in a fun way.
Here is a step by step Pictorial to make this simple gluten Free Ragi Banana Cake.
First Mash the Banana with a fork and add jaggary to it and mix well without any lumps, Next add all the wet ingredients one after the other.
Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently fold it in. Do not over work the batter. next, re heat the oven to 180 Deg for about 10 minutes and keep it ready.
Line a cake tin with a parchment paper and pour the prepared cake batter into it. Once done bake it in the oven for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Take it out cool and serve it with tea.
Ragi Banana Cake
- Bowl, Oven, whisk, Seive, measuring Spoons
- 2 ripe Banana
- 1/2 cup canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Curd
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Jaggery or plain white sugar Add more if you prefer sweeter
- 1 cup Ragi flour
- 3/4 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Coco powder sweetened or unsweetened
- In a wide bowl mash the banana with a fork and add in the the sugar or jaggery and mix it in well. We want to have a less lumpy mixture. Next add all the wet ingredients such as Milk, Vanilla Extract, Curd and canola oil, one by one. Mix them well with a whisk until all combined.
- Next, sift in the dry ingredients with a sieve into the wet ingredients, One after the other. Starting with Ragi flour and then whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, coco powder.
- Whisk all the wet and dry ingredients together gently in singular motion. Don’t over work the batter.
- Mean while, keep the oven preheated at 180 Deg C for 10 mins and prepare a cake tin line the bottom with a parchment paper and keep it ready.
- Pour the prepared cake mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until a tooth pic comes out clean.
- Once done, place the cake tin on a cooling rack. If the top surface is un even it is ok, you can cut it and make it even once you take it out.
- Once it is cool, Gently flip the cake tin over a plate and it should come out easily. Peel the parchment Paper off and your tea cake is ready to serve.
- Serve it with Tea in the evening or as a healthy snack in kids snack box.
Check Out My other healthy recipes here
- Hemp Pancakes / hemp recipes
- Sathumavu ladoo | Multigrain Ladoo
- Tofu nuggets ( with step by step pics)