Egg Biriyani Recipe (Muttai Biriyani) ( How to make egg biriyani )
Biriyani is a popular indian rice dish in India. There are many version of it and many kinds of it varying from using meat to meatless. Eggs being a home staple , I use this quick egg biriyani recipe often.
Check the other Biriyani Recipes on my blog
Egg Biriyani recipe
To make biriyani :
- 1 no. medium sized onion (sliced thinly)
- 3 small sized Tomato (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 of large leaf Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 3-4 no.s Cardamom pod
- 5-6 Cloves
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 cups Water
- 1 ½ tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Corriander powder
- 1 tsp Biriyani Masala (for gravy)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 no.s Green chillies
- 5-6 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 3 tsp Salt (adjust as required)
- 1/4 cup Boiled Milk
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves (loosely packed)
- 3/4 cup corriander leaves (loosely packed)
- 4 tbsp Yoghurt
For Frying eggs :
- 4 Eggs (boiled and peeled)
- Oil (as required for frying)
- 1 tsp Biriyani Masala (for frying)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
- To make this egg biriyani, first Boil and peel the eggs and slice them in half and keep it aside.
- Mix Biriyani Masala , Kashmiri Red chilli powder and salt and coat the boiled eggs on all sides and keep it fry them in oil until roasted. Use oil as required to allow the eggs to roast and get golden and red.
- ( be careful they may sputter in between reduce the flame and gently move them around in between) Once the eggs are fried, keep it aside.
- Before you start, was the basmati rice gently until the water runs clear and soak it for about 15 to 20 mins. (Set a timer ) Once done drain the biriyani rice it and keep aside
- Heat a big pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed pan, add oil and the whole Garam Masalas ( cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom pods) sauté them for a few second in the oil.
- Next add in the sliced onions and a little salt and cook in medium flame until the onions are slightly browned.
- Next add the tomatoes and cover and cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes have gone soft. Once they are soft, break them down with your spatula and mix it in to the onions.
- Next add mint and corriander leaves and sauté.
- Next add the spice powders for biriyani, corriander, red chilli, and Biriyani Masala ( keep the garam masala for later ) and mix it in and cook for a few minutes until all the masalas are absorbed by the tomatoes and onions.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a few mins until the raw flavor is gone.
- Add yoghurt , mix it in and cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until you start seeing the oil oozing out of the biriyani gravy.
- Once you start seeing the oil separating, add ghee and mix it well.
- Measure and add the water as required in to the pot, check and add salt. (Ensure the water is slightly salty for the rice to absorb)
- Bring it to a gentle simmer, when you start to see bubbles around the edges of the pot, add the washed, soaked and drained basmati rice. Mix it gently so it evenly spreads in the biriyani gravy prepared
- Sprinkle some Garam Masala and add the 1/4 cup of milk.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle on medium flame and turn off the flame to low and cook for 10 minutes. Once done turn off the flame and keep the lid on and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Once you open it, gently fluff it with a fork and move the rice from bottom to top, be careful not to break the rice as it will be very soft and tender.
- Transfer to a serving dish, serve it with he fried eggs and Raita.
Boil Eggs with little vinegar to peel without a problem
In a pressure pan, add oil and spices and onions and sauté them until brown
Add tomatoes, mint and corriander leaves and ginger garlic paste and sauté them will until tomatoes goes soft
Add the Yoghurt, green chillies and the spice powders and cook them until oil separates.
Pour water, spinkle garam masala and bring the pot to a boil
Add the washed, soaked and drained biriyani rice, milk ad close the pressure cooker and cook for 1 whistle on medium flame and on low for 10 mins
Mix the spice powders for the eggs and coat them in it and fry it in oil and keep it for serving
Open the pressure cooker, let it sit for 15 mins and then gently fluff it with a fork, serve the egg biriyani with the fried eggs on top.
Serve the egg biriyani with Raita or brinjal curry
Follow us on social media
- Mutton Semi Gravy – (Mutton masala Recipe)
- Tiffin Sambar
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Rajma Masala
- Egg masala fry