Green Chutney, How to make green chutney
Green chutney is a very popular condiment in Indian cuisine. I can say almost 7 out of 10 street foods in India uses green chutney as an ingredient. My favorite is having it in chaat items.
If you have gone to indian grocery shopping you might have come across with a label reading mint chutney in it. But I assure you it is pretty simple to make and tastes even better when made at home. I personally like to tweak it to my palette. As I find the store bough ones sometimes too spicy. (Yeah even for me !)
The main start ingredient is mint and coriander, Although it is called mint chutney sometimes, its an unsaid rule that mint and coriander are always added together in Indian Cuisine.
Some tips, for you before you begin:
- Take a small blender jar, initially it may look like a lot to fit in in the jar, but once the ingredients hit the blades, there will be a lot of room, Using a large jar will not allow the ingredients to grind smoothly.
- Once done, keep it in an air tight container for about 2 weeks.
- You can adjust the spice level to your liking. Green chutney is generally spicy and slightly tangy and sweetness from sugar balances the flavour.
Some of my favorite serving options :
- You can mix in thick yoghurt and serve it as a dip for kebabs and tandoori dishes or in a sandwich check out my minty avocado sandwich recipe here ( minty avocado sandwich) .
- Or mix it in mayonnaise and use as a dressing in your salad.
Now lets see how to make quick 5 minutes green chutney.
Green Chutney recipe
- 1/4 cup Mint
- 1 and 1/2 cup Coriander
- 2 Roasted Channa dal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Chat masala
- 1 large pod Garlic pods
- 2-3 Green chilli (spicy variety)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp Water
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt (optional)
- Wash the mint and coriander leaves and add it to a blender along with all the ingredients. Add water as required to grind the chutney to a smooth paste.
Check out my latest posts below,
- Mutton Semi Gravy – (Mutton masala Recipe)
- Tiffin Sambar
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Rajma Masala
- Egg masala fry