Salmon Fish curry
I think salmon would be my first choice of fish if I were asked to pick one. and in Japan we get the finest quality of salmon. Its a very fatty fish which make the curry very flavorful.
This Salmon Fish Curry is is probably the easiest version of all. I have learnt to use the canned coconut milk available here as finding fresh coconut is easy. Nevertheless this salmon fish curry is so flavorful.
Some pointers before you begin the recipe,
- use a nice pan with a flat base, which brings even heat to the dish and also doesn’t crowd the fish in one place.
- Once cooked the fish can be tender so be gentle to move it around.
- You can make this recipe with fresh coconut milk as well. If you do remember to use about 1 and 1/2 cup of filtered coconut milk.
- The main flavour for this fish curry comes from Fennel seeds, traditional indian recipes , coconut and fennel seeds reground together and the coconut milk is filtered and added to the curry. I have found a hack to get the same flavour by adding fennel seed powder towards the end. (Do not skip this step)
- Kashmiri red chilli powder gives a nice bright red color to the curry without adding too much heat to it. If you don’t have it, and will be using only plain chilli powder, remember to use about 2 tsp of red chilli powder.
- Fish curry always tastes better the day after. and this salmon fish curry is no different. So if you wish to enjoy the best taste of it serve it the next day.
Salmon Fish Curry
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 onion finely chopped (small sized)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Plain red chilli powder
- 3 tsp Corriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 large lemon Tamarind (pulped in hot water)
- 3/4 can Coconut milk (300 ml)
- 1 cup Water
- salt (as required)
- 1-2 tsp Fennel seed powder
- 300 gms Salmon pieces (cut in cubes)
- Add oil, once hot add in the mustard, crackle it and then add in the fenugreek and fennel seeds and sauté for a few seconds, next add in the ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and sauté until the raw smell goes away.
- Next add in finely chopped onions, add some salt and cook until the onions turn soft, and until it is translucent, next add in the spice powders (chilli, Corriander, turmeric powders) sauté for a few mins, add in the tamarind juice and bring it to a boil, add salt
- Next add in the coconut milk, water ( as required) and simmer until the curry comes together and starts to simmer gently and all katcha flavour is gone..
- Finally add in the salmon pieces, sprinkle fennel seed powder and cover it and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the salmon is cooked and you see oil separating on the sides...
- Serve it with hot rice.