Indian green chicken curry
This green chicken curry was an accidental recipe of mine when I had to use the left over green chutney. But turned out to be one of my favorite recipes to have with roti. This is yet again another one pot / pressure cooker recipe. So simple to make and is done in 30 minutes if you have ingredients ready.
This spicy indian green chicken curry version will give the die hard fans of Thai green chicken curry fans a run. I am not sure if it can be called haiyali chicken recipe.
The thickness of this curry comes from whole fat yoghurt and the spice mains from green chillies, It tastes divine with phulkas and can be prepared in no time and is an excellent meal prep idea for the low carb food lovers.
So some pointers before you start the recipe :
- Now using chicken thighs work better for this recipe than chicken breast.
- Don’t go easy on the green chillies as it would reduce the punch of the dish.
- Adding a bit of brown sugar evens out and brings out the depth of flavors in the dish and hence I highly recommend.
Green chicken Curry
- 3-4 tbsp Oil
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 3-4 no.s Cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2-3 no.s Cardamom
- 1 & 12 Onions (pureed)
- 6-7 Cashews (soaked made into a paste with milk)
- 1/2 cup Yoghurt (whole fat yoghurt)
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves
- 3/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 4-5 Green chillies
- 2-3 tsp salt (add to taste)
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Brown sugar (regular white Sugar)
- 500 gms Chicken thighs (cubed)
- First blend the onion and soaked cashews with little water until a nice creamy smooth paste. (Note 1)
- In a pressure pan or a cooker, add oil, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds and sauté for a few seconds for the flavors of the whole spices infuse in the oil.
- Add ginger garlic paste and quickly mix it in the oil but be careful not to burn it.
- Next add the pureed onion and cashew pasted mix it well. Cover and cook in medium flame for about 5-10 mins, until you start to see the oil separating.
- Next add in the washed, cleaned chicken pieces, turmeric powder, salt and sauté for a few mins until the meat is no longer pink.
- While the chicken is cooking, take a blender and add in coriander leaves, green chillies, mint leaves with a little water and blend into a smooth paste.
- Now add the fresh green paste and water into the pressure cooker (adjust to desired consistency) and mix well and cover to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Next add in red chilli powder, coriander powder, Garam masala, and yoghurt .Give it all a good mix and pressure cook for about 3-4 whistles or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Once the pressure is released, carefully open the pressure cooker and transfer the hot spicy green curry Indian style to a serving dish.
- Serve it hot with plain rice or Roti or chapati.