Prawn Thokku / Prawn masala
Prawns is my favorite seafood. I could eat it in every meal. I wanted to share this favorite way of making prawn thokku or prawn masala from my kitchen. I have managed to make a mini video for my viewers too. Hope this helps.
Let me explain what thokku means in the first place for anyone hearing this the first time. Thokku is anything that’s cooked until its got thick in consistency. This recipe tastes great with any rice recipe such as coconut rice or even plain white rice. Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comment below.
The taste of this dish largely varies by using the right proportions of the onions and tomatoes. I have given it exactly the way I make it onions and tomatoes have to be in equal quantity. Shrimps or prawn using fresh always tastes better. check out my other favorite way to make, prawn thokku here
See the video recipe below for how to instructions .
Prawn Thokku / Eral thokku
- Pan with a lid
- chopping Board, knives, bowls
- 1 medium onion finely chopped,
- 2 small tomatoes finely chopped,
- 3 tbsp oil
- 250 gms prawns
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- salt (to taste)
To marinate prawns before frying- red chilli powder, salt, turmeric - 1 tsp each
- First wash and devein the prawns or shrimps and marinate with the ingredients mentioned in to marinate in the ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Mean while chop the onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves . Grate the ginger garlic paste and keep them ready.
- In a pan add oil and gently add the marinated prawns to it and allow it to cook until its almost done. It shouldn’t be over cooked. Just when it has curled and turned opaque is a good time to remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, Add fennel seeds, add chopped onions, and some salt, cook until the onions are soft and is reduced slightly. Next add the tomatoes, and cook until they are soft. You can cover with a lid for the pan and cook this step.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a few minutes until the raw flavors are gone. And the whole tomato, onion, ginger garlic forms a saucy base.
- Next add the red chilli powder and cook for few more minutes, until the sharp spice of the red chilli powder is gone.
- Next add the fried prawns and add it to the prepared tomato and onion base and mix it will. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until you see oil separating from the sides.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with Rice or Roti.