Often we find that kids love pizza not any different from adults ourselves. I think the combination of tomatoes and the melted cheese and the bread is magical and will make you want to eat more. My son loves pizza and he wants to eat it at least once a week now a days. Like any good parent I don’t want to feed my son too much of bottled factory made stuff, at the same time I don’t want to deny him of what he likes to eat. so in order to meet my sons wishes midway and also give him something healthy on this pizza days,I decided to make my own pizza sauce which would be a healthier alternative to anything factory made.
While making it I realized that there was a great opportunity to perk up the sauce with some extra goodness and hence this recipe was born (eureka !!!) It’s not a regular pizza sauce but made with veggies which otherwise children may avoid eating on a pizza day 😉 i have tried 2-3 ways of sneaking in the veggies once by direcly blending and another way by sauted and adding whole veggies, but this turned out closest to an original pizza sauce taste and texture.
This recipe stores well for about a week and can be used a pasta sauce too, go ahead and use it on any pasta bake !!.
My son loved this pizza sauce and I fed him without any guilt. Now Am happy to share this recipe with you readers !
Healthy homemade veggie loaded pizza sauce - Kids friendly sauce
- 2 cups riped tomato puree or (1 canned tomatos)
- 1/2 carrot (cubed)
- 1/2 zucchini (cubed)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (medium sized, chopped)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- First wash all the vegetables and chop them into cubes
- Chop the onions, and puree the tomatoes if using fresh tomatoes
- In a pot, add oil and add the chopped onions, peeled garlic pods and all the chopped veggies.
- Add a bit of salt and 1/2 cup of water to the veggies and cook until the veggies go soft or until all the water is evaporated.
- Cool the mixture down and transfer it to a blender along with the tomato puree.
- Add half of Italian seasoning, sugar and blend it to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the contents of the blender back into the pot with a little bit of olive oil and cook in medium flame.
- Add the parmesan cheese, the remaining portion of the Italian seasoning and the tomato paste.
- Cook the sauce on medium to low heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in occasionally to avoid any burning in the bottom of the pan.
- Your pizza sauce will be ready when the sauce is thicker compared to how it was when you started cooking it.
- Cool it and transfer to a clean jar and store in the refrigerator
- And your healthy veggie loaded pizza sauce is ready to use.