Instant Tomato Pickle / Thakkai oorugai
Pickles are an essential condiment in indian cusine. There is no elaborate meal without a small piece of pickle in it. Usually it is a preserved item which adds a lot of good probiotics in to the diet. This recipe is an instant pickle recipe and stores well in the refrigirator. I love to eat it with idli or dosa or add it to any rice dish like paruppu sadham or thayir sadham (curd rice)
- 1 canned tomato (or 6-7 fresh ripe tomatos)
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds (for grinding)
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds (for grinding)
- 3 ladles cooking oil
- A sprig curry leaves
- 3 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 big lemon sizes tamarind
- 1 tbsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (for seasoning)
- 1 tsp sugar or jaggary (optional)
- In a pan, dry roast the mustard for grinding until it sputters, next add in the fenugreek seeds (dont let it browremove it from heat cool it down and grind to a find powder. (read note)
- In a blender, blend one can of tomato, soaked tamarind, red chilli powder, salt until all are combined to a smooth mix and keep aside.
- In a kadai, add oil, add mustard seeds for seasoning. Once it sputters, add in curry leaves
- Add in the ground tomato mixture to the oil. Be careful and cover with a lid to protect the oil from spraying on you.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium flame and stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- You know its ready when the raw smell of the tamarind and the red chilli powder is gone. And it all looks combined, glossy and slightly darker than how it was before.
- Turn off the flame when oil starts appearing on the sides.
- Finally add a tsp (read note) of the ground mustard and fenugreek powder and mix in well.
- If your find it too tangy you can add a tsp of sugar or jaggary to balance the flavor.
- Cool it off completely and transfer to a clean dry glass or a ceramic jar.
- Enjoy this pickle with dosa, idli, or any rice dish of your choice.
1.We will be adding only 1 tsp of the ground mixture to the pickle the remaining powder can be used for making pulikuzhambu or vethakozhambu or stored for later use. 2.You can use whole tomatoes as well. Will be about 7-8 tomatoes finely chopped