Mock chicken nuggets (Vegan/Vegetarian)
We all love nuggets, I don't know if its the cute bite sized goodness or crispy texture that brings absolutes satisfaction to us. But most of the time nuggets turn out to be labeled as junk food as many fast food chains serve them, heavily greased. There I wanted to make a healthy version of a nugget which even vegetarians can enjoy. Yes with tofu ! This recipe has a popular freeze technique to it which helps win firming it even more to get a nice layered look, just like tender chicken breasts. Read along I bet you like this recipe.
- 400 gms tofu (medium firm tofu)
- salt (to taste)
- Italian seasoning (or any seasoning of your choice)
- oil (a drizzle)
- 1 tbsp flour
- bread crumbs
- open a pack of medium firm tofu and drain the water from the container. place it on a chopping board and pat it dry with a kitchen cloth. Next cut it into bite size pieces
- transfer the tofu pieces into a container and freeze it
- once its frozen, remove it and thaw it in the refrigerator. Once its thaw, quickly drain the liquid thats collected in the bottom of the container (if you leave it for too long, the tofu will re-absorb all the liquid once again and this whole step will be a waste). pat it dry with kitchen cloth. gently squeeze the tofu pieces with the fingers to get a chickeny texture and look.
- carefully transfer the tofu pieces to a bowl or a plate and coat it slightly with oil, salt and your favorite herbs, I used a of Italian seasoning here.
- Dust the tofu pieces with flour and then with bread crumbs. transfer to a baking tray with parchment paper.
- bake in the oven for 20-30 min, at 180 deg C. (flip the tofu pieces midway)
- thats it !!! your easy tofu nuggets / mock chicken nuggets are ready. enjoy with your favorite dip.
(as tofu as such has no flavor, you can soak the tofu pieces in 2-3 tbsp of vegetable broth or soy sauce after thawing and drain the extra liquid. this adds a little bit more flavor to the tofu. but be careful not to add too much liquid to the tofu, just a little is enough to soak it.)