Idli Milagai Podi
Idli milagai podi is a typical South Indian preparation made with roasted lentils, chillies and curry leaves. It is often mixed with sesame oil or ghee and served with Idli or dosa. It is a perfect quick vegetarian breakfast option.I always make a fresh batch of idli milagai podi and store it for a couple of months and use it on days I don't find time to cook anything.
- 1/4 cup Black urad dal
- 1/4 cup white urad dal
- 1/4 cup channa dal
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (white)
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves (dry in microwave for 1 min)
- 2 tbsp Garlic (chopped)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil (coconut oil or any cooking oil)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 10-15 no.s Dry red chillies (I used 50:50 Kashmiri red chillies and regular chillies)
- In a heavy pan, Dry Roast Red chillies in medium flame till the red chillies turn slightly toasted and keep them aside. Next in the same pan, add a little oil and roast the black and the white urad dal for a 5 mins on medium flame. Then to it add the channa dal and roast them in medium to low flame till get gets golden and mildly roasted. Remove from the pan and allow it to cool.
- To the same pan, add the garlic , sesame seeds, curry leaves and slightly roast them. Finally add the asafoetida and fry it for a second along with the sesame and garlic and turn off the flame.
- Cool all the roasted items in the previous steps and transfer to a clean and dry mixie jar/ fine blender, add salt and grind it to a fine powder. (you can grind to a coarse texture if you prefer so)
- Now your idli milagai podi is ready to use. Serve it with a generous drizzle of sesame oil or melted ghee and enjoy with hot idlies and dosas
If you prefer less spicy reduce the number of chillies to 8-10 numbers. Adding Kashmiri Red chillies will add a nice color to the final podi.